All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn this insightful study, Braatz and Rowland examine how Wisconsin's Winnebago County negotiated nagging issues such as unemployment, debt relief, and sluggish industry during the Great Depression, while attempting to understand the effect these times had on the people who called the county home. In the fall of 1929, the Great Depression descended hard upon Winnebago County. Although the county suffered debilitating effects from the ecomic collapse, the pain was t evenly distributed amongst this largely industrial region in the southern Fox Valley. At the rthern edge of Winnebago County, the cities Neenah and Menasha, driven by the paper industry, suffered far less than Oshkosh, a city greatly reliant upon the woodworking mills lining the Fox River. When new housing disappeared, demand for Oshkosh's doors and window sashes went with it_and the jobs were quick to follow. The searing hardships caused by the Great Depression ravaged the ecomy and social fabric of the Winnebago County community.
- Author BiographyWerner Braatz is professor emeritus of the University of Wisconsin at Oshkosh. His teaching career there spanned forty years until his retirement in 1999. Thomas J. Rowland is senior lecturer at the University of Wisconsin at Oshkosh, where he has taught for eleven years. He is the author of George B. McClellan and Civil War History (1999) and is currently researching for an interpretive biography of Franklin Pierce.
- Author(s)Thomas J. Rowland,Werner E. Braatz
- PublisherUniversity Press of America
- Date of Publication01/07/2009
- SubjectEconomics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of America
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight195 g
- Width154 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine9 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.