All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionThe nine essays in this collection represent the first book-length treatment of one of the major changes that have shaped Latin America since independence: decentralization of the state. Contributors argue that though the assignment of political, fiscal, and administrative duties to subnational governments has been one of the most important political developments in Latin America, it is also one of the most overlooked. This volume is divided into three sections. Part one presents an overview of the topic by the editors; part two considers the political origins of decentralization; and part three examines decentralization and ecomic reforms. Decentralization and Democracy in Latin America explores the causes of decentralization in six significant case studies: Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Mexico, and Venezuela. Shorter analyses of Uruguay and Peru are also included. The essays in this volume find substantial common ground across regime types, historical periods, and countries, and yield several substantive conclusions.
- Author BiographyAlfred P. Montero is associate professor of political science at Carleton College. David J. Samuels isassociate professor of political science at the University of Minnesota. Contributors Alfred P. Montero, David J. Samuels, Kathleen M. O'Neill, Gary Bland, Kent Eaton, Michael Penfold-Becerra, Caroline C. Beer, Erik Wibbels, Stephan Haggard, and Steven B. Webb.
- PublisherUniversity of Notre Dame Press
- Date of Publication30/03/2004
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Series TitleHelen Kellogg Institute for International Studies
- Place of PublicationNotre Dame IN
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Notre Dame Press
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight454 g
- Width152 mm
- Height222 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edited byAlfred P. Montero,David J. Samuels
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.