Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.68Trending at AU $42.56
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.92
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.42
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.41
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.64
About this product
- DescriptionWhat happens when advanced students of English for general purposes suddenly find themselves as beginning students of English for special purposes? What happens in interlanguage when such students are faced with the obligation of constructing a viable currency for the market? What happens when the learner-actor attempts to understand for meaning in texts for the professions? What happens at the point where interlanguage and reality meet? Such encounters constitute genuine moments of opportunity. They are essentially the moments of truth that will determine the actual potential of the learner-interlocutor as interactor with the text - and with reality itself. Literacy is at stake - and professional competence. Actor performance cant be seen as a simple function of resources alone, but is to be seen as a function of a complexity of factors such as mother-tongue and linguistic distance, bilingualism and market competition, acquisition and learning, language used in the operations, and lexical currency status. The book is an empirical study against the background of the new competition of today's service ecomy and the requirements of the interaction imperative in the business world of today. And it is set in a dual linguistic environment.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Christer Pahlsson took his Ph.D. at the University of Lund, Sweden. He was professor in English at the Swedish School of Economics and Business Administration in Helsingfors (Helsinki), Finland, 1972-98. His main scholarly interests are language in society and society in language. He has also been engaged in local politics and in various professional activities.
- Author(s)Christer Pahlsson
- PublisherPeter Lang GmbH
- Date of Publication01/11/1999
- SubjectELT Course Materials
- Series TitleScandinavian University Studies
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 20
- Place of PublicationFrankfurt am Main
- Country of PublicationGermany
- First Published1999
- ImprintPeter Lang GmbH
- Content Notetab. and graph.
- Weight620 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.