All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMark Doty's poetry has long been celebrated for its risk and candour, an ability to find transcendent beauty even in the mundane and grievous, an unflinching eye that - as Philip Levine says - 'looks away from thing'. In the poems of Deep Lane the stakes are higher: there is more to lose than ever before, and there is more for us to gain. 'Pure appetite,' he writes ironically early in the collection, 'I wouldn't kw anything about that.' And the following poem answers: Down there the little star-sed engine of desire at work all night, secretive: in the morning a new line running across the wet grass, near the surface, like a vein. Don't you wish the road of excess led to the palace of wisdom, wouldn't that be nice? Deep Lane is a book of descents: into the earth beneath the garden, into the dark substrata of a life. But these poems seek repair, finally, through the possibilities that sustain the speaker above ground: gardens and animals; the pleasure of seeing; the world tuned by the word. Time and again, an image of immolation and sacrifice is undercut by the fierce fortitude of nature: nature that is t just a solace but a potent antidote and cure. Ranging from agony to rapture, from great depths to hard-won heights, these are poems of grace and bility.
- Author BiographyThe author of nine previous books of poetry and five books of prose, Mark Doty's many honours include the National Book Award, the National Book Critics Circle Award and T. S. Eliot Prize. He lives in New York.
- PrizesShortlisted for T S Eliot Prize 2016 and T S Eliot Prize 2015.
- Author(s)Mark Doty
- PublisherVintage Publishing
- Date of Publication02/04/2015
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJonathan Cape Ltd
- Weight96 g
- Width132 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine9 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $75.71New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.41Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $75.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.