All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDefining Ourselves offers perspectives on black literature in the 1990s by twenty-nine black writers and critics, including Paule Marshall, Amiri Baraka, John A. Williams, Ishmael Reed, Walter Mosley, Marita Golden, Thulani Davis, Jill Nelson, Arthur Flowers, Lorna Goodison, Bebe Moore Campbell, Brent Staples, Terry McMillan, Stanley Crouch, Houston A. Baker Jr., Barbara Christian, Karla FC Holloway, and William W. Cook. The essays in this book are based on papers presented at the Fourth National Black Writers Conference at Medgar Evers College of the City University of New York, which focused on the question of whether or t black literature in the 90s is experiencing a renaissance to end all renaissances. In addition to this topic, this book addresses the issues of the universality of black literature, the changing tastes and concerns of black readers, and the politics of publishing.
- Author BiographyThe Contributors: Elizabeth Nunez, Walter Mosley, Amiri Baraka, Paule Marshall, Carlyle V. Thompson, Houston A. Baker, Jr., John A. Williams, Yelena Khanga, Eugene Redmond, Stephanie Martin, Selwyn R. Cudjoe, Cecil Foster, Lorna Goodison, Kelvin Christopher James, Hugh Pearson, Marita Golden, Stanley Crouch, Brenda M. Greene, Barbara T. Christian, Arthur Flowers, Thulani Davis, Ishmael Reed, Karla FC Holloway, Bebe Moore Campbell, William W. Cook, Brent Staples, Jill Nelson, Marimba Ani, Malaika Adero, W. Paul Coates, Susan McHenry, Terry McMillan. The Editors: Elizabeth Nunez is Professor of English at Medgar Evers College of the City University of New York and Director of the National Black Writers Conference. She is the author of the novels When Rocks Dance and Beyond the Limbo Silence. Brenda M. Greene is Chairperson of the Department of Literature, Languages, Philosophy, and Communication at Medgar Evers College, and Coordinator of the National Black Writers Conference. She is coeditor of the collection of essays, Rethinking American Literature.
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication01/04/1999
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published1999
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight360 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Edited byBrenda M Greene,Elizabeth Nunez
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $75.71New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.41Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $75.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.