All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis detailed study explores the significance of the 'Library of Ireland', a book series originated in the 1840s by the Young Irelanders Thomas Davis and Charles Gavan Duffy. Focusing on the literary anthologies and literary histories published in this series, the author demonstrates how they attempted to articulate a new national identity for Irish readers based on Young Ireland ideas. Despite the vast amount of scholarly work on Irish nationalism and literature, very little attention has hitherto been paid to the 'Library of Ireland' series. This book recovers the fundamental role played by the series in the creation of a sense of Irish identity, and also examines the publications within the wider theoretical context of anthology studies. It is an original and highly stimulating contribution to the literary and cultural history of nineteenth-century Ireland.
- Author BiographyAnne MacCarthy was a senior lecturer in English Literature at the University of Santiago de Compostela, Spain. Her main research interest was in nineteenth-century Irish literature, especially the period from 1800-1850, with a particular focus on authors such as James Clarence Mangan and Edward Walsh. She also published widely on James Joyce and carried out research on nineteenth-century English translations of Spanish literature. This book is published posthumously, generously edited for publication by Dr Jefferey Simons.
- Author(s)Anne MacCarthy
- PublisherPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Date of Publication29/05/2012
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleReimagining Ireland
- Series Part/Volume Number34
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- First Published2012
- ImprintPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Weight400 g
- Width150 mm
- Height225 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.51Trending at AU $111.62
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.36
- AU $35.81Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.02
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.