All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTo most, the collapse of modern civilization is the stuff of fiction. Yet, science confirms that misuse of techlogy and environmental abuse places our world in grave danger of ruin. The World Scientists' Warning to Humanity places our civilization on a collision course. Defying Dystopia analyzes how we have come to this, and what options remain for far-seeing people to take control of their own destiny and survive the future. Ed Ayres, who has worked with some iconic environmental scientists of the past half-century, argues that techlogy was originally used to augment the natural strengths of humans, but has been increasingly used in ways that weaken us-shifting from useful work to the industries of distraction, entertainment, convenience, pain-relief, and sedation. Ayres advises on how at least some of us can avoid that collision. The most critical task, for those of us who want humanity to survive and thrive, is to disengage from our tech thralldom, and shift to a conscious management of our evolution in which we use techlogy to enhance our skills and strengths rather than erode or supplant them. Ayres provides insightful, actionable suggestions we can use to increase our odds of survival. He asks far-seeing individuals to take on a mission that the dominant governments and institutions demonstrably cant: the epic task of shepherding a low-profile, resilient transition to a new kind of human future.
- Author BiographyEd Ayres is the former editor of World Watch magazine, one of the first periodicals to focus on the emerging challenges of environmental degradation and destabilized climate.
- Author(s)Ed Ayres
- PublisherTransaction Publishers
- Date of Publication30/05/2016
- SubjectScience: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationSomerset, NJ
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTransaction Publishers
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight318 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $179.93New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.93New
- AU $93.61Used
- AU $93.61New
- AU $101.72New
- AU $81.15New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.20
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.64
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.36
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $74.31
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.06
- AU $22.66Trending at AU $23.29
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.