All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Delaware Tribe of Oklahoma is an American Indian tribe currently incorporated as part of the larger Cherokee Nation. Originally from the Hudson and Delaware River valleys, the Delawares are neither socially r historically related to the Cherokees and were incorporated with them simply because they were forced to move to the Cherokee Nation in 1867. The Delawares never assimilated into Cherokee society and culture and today seek federal recognition as a separate tribe to protect their particular cultural and political identity. However, Delaware efforts to achieve federal recognition are complicated by the Cherokee Nation, which does t support Delaware independence as it could potentially compromise Cherokee jurisdiction. Delaware Tribe in a Cherokee Nation is an ethgraphic study of the Delaware Tribe and its struggle for federal recognition and political separation from the larger Cherokee Nation. Brice Obermeyer details the Delawares' struggle for self-determination, revealing important insights into the process and politics of federal recognition. This perceptive ethgraphy of a tribe trying to assert its right to sovereignty and its independence from a larger and more powerful tribe complicates accepted tions of how the federal recognition process works and the effects it has on tribal members and tribal relations. Although many tribes exist today as constituent parts of a larger American Indian tribe, Delaware Tribe in a Cherokee Nation is the first book to study this phemen in Native North America.
- Author BiographyBrice Obermeyer is an assistant professor of anthropology at Emporia State University.
- Author(s)Brice Obermeyer
- PublisherUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Date of Publication01/12/2009
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationLincoln
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Content Note1 photo, 9 maps, 1 figure, 4 tables
- Weight567 g
- Width3564 mm
- Height5499 mm
- Spine29 mm
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.05Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $36.00
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.16
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.