Delightful Conviction: Jonathan Edwards and the Rhetoric of Conversion by Stephen R. Yarbrough, John C. Adams, Bernard K. Duffy (Hardback, 1993)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $97.94Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by oodals
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $120.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn analyzing Jonathan Edwards preaching in eighteenth-century colonial America, the authors demonstrate how his rhetoric distinguished between conversion and persuasion. The authors delineate the basic tenets of Puritan theology, place Edwards' ted sermons within an historical framework, and show how his psycho-spiritual ideas have had lasting impact on American literary, religious, and intellectual history. This reference provides a critical analysis, speech texts, chrology, and bibliography. Students and teachers of rhetoric, American history, literature, philosophy, and religion will find this in-depth study of an enigmatic great American orator pertinent for various uses. The reference defines Edwards' doctrinal stance on key religious issues of the times, describes his methods of preaching and efforts to convert sinners into saints, and assesses his influence in the eighteenth century and later. The volume covers his life, his youth and education, his revival and role in the Great Awakening of religion in America, his church's rejection and his exile. This scholarly study relates his ideas to complex theological roots in European thought, to Christian and Enlightenment discourses, and it points to the ermous effect that he has had on thinking until the twentieth century. Texts of key sermons dealing with central concepts such as divine light, sinners, and true grace are provided.
- Author BiographySTEPHEN R. YARBROUGH, Associate Professor of English, Skidmore College, has written at length on critical theory and American literature. JOHN C. ADAMS, Associate Professor of the Department of Speech Communication, Syracuse University, has written many articles for professional journals on American rhetoric and the history of public address.
- Author(s)Bernard K. Duffy,John C. Adams,Stephen R. Yarbrough
- Date of Publication30/01/1993
- SubjectChristian History & Denominations
- Series TitleGreat American Orators
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 20.
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGreenwood Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight472 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $179.93New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.93New
- AU $93.61Used
- AU $93.61New
- AU $101.72New
- AU $81.15New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.20
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.64
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.36
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $74.31
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.06
- AU $22.66Trending at AU $23.29
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.