About this product
- DescriptionDelirium is a complex syndrome with a multifactorial aetiology and is characterized by marked disturbances of consciousness, attention, memory, perception, thought, sleep-wake cycle, and by fluctuation of symptoms. This book covers in detail the pathophysiology, epidemiology, clinical aspects, differential diagsis, and management of the syndrome. Due to the special characteristics of the syndrome, specific chapters deal with different aetiologies and populations at risk, with emphasis on the critically ill and palliative care patients. As delirium often anunces or anticipates the proximity of death, family issues are considered in a comprehensive final chapter, covering the impact of terminal illness on the family and the process of bereavement. The book emphasises the need for assessing and diagsing delirium with reliable instruments, and a chapter on assessment is reinforced by including appendices of many of the most relevant instruments reported in recent literature. The evidence from the literature is always distinguished from the authors' opinions and most chapters are integrated by the presentation of case examples. Updated for the second edition this book contains new material on topics including classification systems, more data on populations at risk, and significant new material on the family and bereavement. Delirium: Acute confusional states in palliative medicine, Second Edition demonstrates that only an interdisciplinary treatment of delirium between neurology, psychiatry and palliative medicine can develop kwledge of the syndrome and improve patient and family care. This book has been written for palliative care physicians and specialist nurses, neurologists, psychiatrists, and other health professionals treating terminally ill patients, offering them a clear account of how to recognize and deal with the syndrome.
- Author BiographyLuigi Grassi graduated in Medicine at the University of Bologna in 1981 and board certified in Medical Psychology in 1985 (University of Bologna) and in Psychiatry in 1989 (University of Ferrara). He is currently Professor and Chair of Psychiatry, University of Ferrara, Italy, where he is the Director of the Post-graduation Residency Program in Psychiatry and the graduate course in Rehabilitation Psychiatry. He is also the Chief of the Clinical and Emergency Psychiatry Unit, Department of Mental Health and Drug Abuse, NHS Local Health Agency in Ferrara. He has been Visiting professor in several centers in the USA and coordinated the EU Project Improving Health Staff's Communication and Assessment Skills of Psychosocial Morbidity and Quality of Life in Cancer Patients: a Study in Southern European Countries (SEPO-S) .
- Author(s)Augusto Caraceni,Luigi Grassi
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication06/01/2011
- SubjectClinical Medicine: Professional
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Content Note17 black and white halftones and 7 black and white line drawings
- Weight694 g
- Width161 mm
- Height241 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.43New
- AU $65.08Used
- AU $78.89New
- AU $105.79New
- AU $75.81Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $21.42Trending at AU $23.14
- AU $19.47Trending at AU $30.09
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $128.58
- AU $17.62Trending at AU $20.11
- AU $24.18Trending at AU $25.80
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $88.64
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $88.04
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.