All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhy has democracy failed to take root in Russia? After shedding the shackles of Soviet rule, some countries in the postcommunist region undertook lasting democratization. Yet Russia did t. Russia experienced dramatic political breakthroughs in the late 1980s and early 1990s, but it subsequently failed to maintain progress toward democracy. In this book, M. Steven Fish offers an explanation for the direction of regime change in post-Soviet Russia. Relying on cross-national comparative analysis as well as on in-depth field research in Russia, Fish shows that Russia's failure to democratize has three causes: too much ecomic reliance on oil, too little ecomic liberalization, and too weak a national legislature. Fish's explanation challenges others that have attributed Russia's political travails to history, political culture, or to 'shock therapy' in ecomic policy. The book offers a theoretically original and empirically rigorous explanation for one of the most pressing political problems of our time.
- Author BiographyM. Steven Fish is Associate Professor of Political Science at the University of California, Berkeley. In 2000-1 he was a Fulbright fellow and Visiting Professor of Political Science and Sociology at the European University at St Petersburg. He is the author of Democracy from Scratch: Opposition and Regime in the New Russian Revolution (1995) and a co-author of Postcommunism and the Theory of Democracy (2001). He has published articles in Comparative Political Studies, East European Constitutional Review, East European Politics and Societies, Europe-Asia Studies, the Journal of Democracy, Post-Soviet Affairs, Slavic Review, World Politics and numerous edited volumes.
- Author(s)M. Steven Fish
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication29/08/2005
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Series TitleCambridge Studies in Comparative Politics
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note28 b/w illus. 42 tables
- Weight620 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine19 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $33.32New
- AU $30.40New
- AU $23.03New
- AU $30.87New
- AU $21.83New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.96
- AU $39.11Trending at AU $43.47
- AU $60.87Trending at AU $63.18
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $23.03
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $30.87
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.28
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.