All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDemocracy is t a universal good, it is a political system, and like all political systems it is open to corruption. The word 'democracy' means 'rule by the people', t rule by a simple majority. To achieve rule by all the people, it used to be accepted that as much of civil life should be kept out of party politics as possible. A mixed constitution was one way of achieving this. By absorbing into itself the institutions of civil society, the modern democratic state has become an ever more pervasive 'tyranny of the majority' accountable to the electorate only once every few years. The powers it has assumed, together with the powers of corporations, represent a 'new world order' that respects neither freedom, the individual, the vulnerable r, in a true sense, the rule of law.
- Author BiographyIvo Mosley writes on politics and culture for many journals and newspapers, both mainstream and academic. Previous books (which include Dumbing Down and Democracy, Fascism and the New World Order, both for Imprint Academic) have been acclaimed 'book of the year' (Spectator), 'entirely fascinating' (The Week), 'a book for our time' (Telegraph); 'At last! A guide to the moronic inferno!' (PN Review) and 'If there is any hope at all, it lies in the existence of books like this!' (Daily Mail).
- Author(s)Ivo Mosley
- PublisherImprint Academic
- Date of Publication04/09/2003
- SubjectGovernment & Constitution
- Series TitleSocietas
- Place of PublicationThorverton
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintImprint Academic
- Weight201 g
- Width135 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Trade paperback (UK)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $33.32New
- AU $30.40New
- AU $20.46New
- AU $30.87New
- AU $21.83New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $10.59Trending at AU $13.66
- AU $60.90Trending at AU $63.18
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.28
- AU $28.31Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $44.94Trending at AU $46.37
- AU $18.77Trending at AU $25.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.