All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.68Trending at AU $42.56
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.92
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.42
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.41
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.64
About this product
- DescriptionIn this book, Yi Feng combines political and ecomic analyses to study the effects of political institutions on ecomic performance. Traditionally, political scientists disregard details of ecomic conditions, while ecomists may t take into consideration a systematic explanation of political regimes. The growing interest in the interplay of political and ecomic systems, spurred by the political democratization and ecomic liberalization evident in many countries over the last twenty years, merits this new perspective. The book examines the political determinants of ecomic growth, and, specifically, the controversial question of the relationship between democracy and quality of life. Feng systematically studies three variables of a political system -- political freedom, political stability, and policy certainty -- and relates them to ecomic development. He examines the political factors that may affect patterns of growth directly or indirectly. Combining theory and country-specific case studies, Democracy, Governance, and Ecomic Performance demonstrates that political institutions and conditions do matter in ecomic growth. After establishing a theoretical foundation, Feng tests it by examining the direct effects of the three key political variables on ecomic growth and the indirect effects of democracy in terms of other variables (political instability, inflation, investment, education, income distribution, property rights, and population growth). He concludes by considering the policy implications of these results.
- Author BiographyYi Feng is the Luther Lee Chair in Government at Claremont Graduate University, where he also works as Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs.
- Author(s)Yi Feng
- PublisherMIT Press Ltd
- Date of Publication08/02/2005
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass.
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMIT Press
- Content Note22 illus.
- Weight567 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Interest AgeFrom 18
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.