All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn contrast with the progressive dilution of religions predicted by traditional liberal and Marxist approaches, religions remain important for many people, even in Europe, the most secularised continent. In the context of increasingly culturally diverse societies, this calls for a reinterpretation of the secular legacy of the Enlightenment and also for an updating of democratic institutions. This book focuses on a central question: are the classical secularist arrangements well equipped to tackle the challenge of fast-growing religious pluralism? Or should we move to new post-secular arrangements when dealing with pluralism in Europe? Offering an interdisciplinary approach that combines political theory and legal analysis, the authors tackle two interrelated facets of this controversial question. They begin by exploring the theoretical perspective, asking what post-secularism is and looking at its relation to secularism. The practical consequences of this debate are then examined, focusing on case-law through four empirical case studies. This book will be of interest to students and scholars of political theory, philosophy, religion and politics, European law, human rights, legal theory and socio-legal studies.
- Author BiographyFerran Requejo is Professor of Political Science and Director of the Research Group on Political Theory and of the MA programme on Diverse Democracies at the Universitat Pompeu Fabra in Barcelona. Camil Ungureanu is Lecturer in Political Theory and Director of the MA programme on Political Philosophy at the Universitat Pompeu Fabra in Barcelona.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication31/07/2014
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Series TitleRoutledge Advances in European Politics
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight498 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byCamil Ungureanu,Professor Ferran Requejo
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $33.32New
- AU $30.40New
- AU $20.46New
- AU $30.87New
- AU $21.77New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $10.59Trending at AU $13.66
- AU $60.90Trending at AU $63.18
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.28
- AU $28.30Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $44.93Trending at AU $46.37
- AU $32.49Trending at AU $33.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.