All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe beauty of democracy is t only that citizens can vote a candidate into office but that they can also vote one out. As digital media grows omnipresent, it becomes more important for political scientists and communication scholars to understand its influence on all aspects of the political process, from campaigning to governance. Catie Sw Bailard argues that the Internet - by altering the quantity and range of information available to citizens - directly influences the ability of individuals to evaluate government performance. It also affects public satisfaction with the quality of available democratic practices and helps motivate political activity and organization. Bailard originates two theories for democratization specialists to consider-mirror-holding and window-opening - which she tests using data collected from dozens of countries and two randomized field experiments. Mirror-holding explores how accessing the Internet allows citizens to see a more detailed and nuanced view of their own government's performance. Window-opening, however, enables those same citizens to glimpse how other governments perform, particularly in comparison to their own. Although the book offers a robust empirical foundation for testing the Internet's effects on democratic attitudes, Bailard ultimately concludes that access to information does t necessarily ensure that democracy will automatically flourish.
- Author BiographyCatie Snow Bailard is an assistant professor of media and public affairs at George Washington University.
- Author(s)Catie Snow Bailard
- PublisherJohns Hopkins University Press
- Date of Publication26/09/2014
- SubjectPolitics & Government: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationBaltimore, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJohns Hopkins University Press
- Content Note7, 3 black & white halftones, 4 black & white line drawings
- Weight272 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Interest AgeFrom 13
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.68Trending at AU $111.07
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.34
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.70
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.33
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.01
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.