All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHow do nations make successful transitions to democracies? Our understanding of how democracy functions-and under what circumstances it can be consolidated and strengthened-remains highly uneven. Recent events underscore the critical importance of expanding our understanding of democratic institutions and operations. Here McMahon and his distinguished contributors demonstrate how the dynamic process of democratization is shaped by the specific contexts in which it occurs; how the internal community plays a key role in the development of democracy; and how the ability to understand democratization requires both internal and external perspectives. The contributors seek to improve the definitions of what constitutes a democracy and to determine how the effectiveness of democratic institutions might best be judged in order to better serve the analysis of and policy approaches to building democratic institutions. With fewer overtly authoritarian states in the post-Cold War world, a wealth of raw information and experience has begun to accumulate. Our understanding of democratic institutional performance requires us to look closely at the performance of the institutions themselves. The book contains chapters on public opinion, civil society, domestic institutions of governance, elections, globalization, international standards of democratic development, international assistance and academic research. A concluding chapter summarizes what democratization processes can teach us about democracy in a broader context.
- Author BiographyEDWARD R. MCMAHON is Dean's Professor of Applied Politics and Director, Center on Democratic Performance, Department of Political Science, State University of New York, Binghamton. THOMAS SINCLAIR is Director and Assistant Professor of the Master in Public Administration Program, State University of New York, Binghamton.
- Date of Publication30/12/2002
- SubjectCurrent Affairs & Issues
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGreenwood Press
- Content Note1, black & white illustrations
- Weight582 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edited byEdward R. McMahon,Thomas R. Sinclair
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $28.44Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $80.00Trending at AU $89.84
- AU $19.30Trending at AU $21.95
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.37
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $34.59
- AU $39.52Trending at AU $40.01
- AU $40.71Trending at AU $41.16
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.