All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe release of Denys Arcand's Le D clin de l'empire am ricain (The Decline of the American Empire) in 1986 marked a major turning point in Quebec cinema. It was the first Qu b cois film that enjoyed huge critical and commercial success at home and abroad. Arcand's tragicomedy about eight intellectuals gathered around a dinner table relating sexy anecdotes became the top-grossing film of all time in Quebec and was the first Canadian feature to be minated for an Oscar in the foreign-language category. Seventeen years later, Arcand won an Academy Award for the sequel, Les Invasions barbares (The Barbarian Invasions), where the amusing insouciance of the thirty-somethings talking dirty in Le D clin is replaced by a sense of moral responsibility and serene resignation. In this engrossing study, Andr Loiselle presents the first in-depth analysis of both films within the context of Quebec culture. Through close readings and concise cultural analysis of two of the most important films in the history of Quebec cinema, Loiselle demonstrates the ways in which Arcand's work represents a snapshot of the evolution of the French Canadian film industry since 1980. The companion films trace the decline of Quebec's national dream and the Qu b cois' attempts to cling to their identity against the forces of barbaric globalization. The second title in the new Canadian Cinema series, Denys Arcand's Le D clin de l'empire am ricain and Les Invasions barbares is essential reading for cinephiles, film critics, and anyone with an interest in cultural studies and Canadian and Quebec history.
- Author BiographyAndre Loiselle is a professor in the Film Studies program and assistant vice-president (Academic) at Carleton University.
- Author(s)Andre Loiselle
- PublisherUniversity of Toronto Press
- Date of Publication11/09/2008
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Series TitleCanadian Cinema
- Place of PublicationToronto
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintUniversity of Toronto Press
- Content Note30 photos
- Weight300 g
- Width138 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.92
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.91
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.14
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $84.09
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.94
- AU $76.88Trending at AU $78.43
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.46
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.