All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe danger of deportation hangs over the head of virtually every n-citizen in the United States. In the complexities and inconsistencies of immigration law, one can find a reason to deport almost any ncitizen at almost any time. In recent years, the system has been used with unprecedented vigor against millions of deportees. We are a nation of immigrants - but which ones do we want, and what do we do with those that we don't? These questions have troubled American law and politics since colonial times. Deportation Nation is a chilling history of communal self-idealization and self-protection. The post-Revolutionary Alien and Sedition Laws, the Fugitive Slave laws, the Indian 'removals', the Chinese Exclusion Act, the Palmer Raids, the internment of the Japanese Americans - all sought to remove those whose origins suggested they could never become 'true' Americans. And for more than a century, millions of Mexicans have conveniently served as cheap labor, crossing a border that was t official until the early twentieth century and being sent back across it when they became a burden. By illuminating the shadowy corners of American history, Daniel Kanstroom shows that deportation has long been a legal tool to control immigrants' lives and is used with increasing crudeness in a globalized but xephobic world.
- Author BiographyDaniel Kanstroom is Professor and Director of the Human Rights Program at Boston College Law School.
- Author(s)Daniel Kanstroom
- PublisherHarvard University Press
- Date of Publication01/03/2010
- SubjectLaw: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHarvard University Press
- Weight522 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound,Trade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.73
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.12
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.08
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $39.86
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $34.94
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.