All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $42.43
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.66
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.32
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.16
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.17
- AU $34.71Trending at AU $42.51
About this product
- DescriptionDepression is a mood disorder that affects one in ten Americans in any given year. At one time too stigmatized to be mentioned in polite conversation, depression is w discussed frankly in the media, and advertisements for drug therapy appear everywhere. The third edition of this widely acclaimed book reflects changes in how mood disorders are thought about, and how they are treated. Dr. Francis Mark Mondimore, author of the best-selling book Bipolar Disorder: A Guide for Patients and Families, here explains depression-its causes and symptoms, and its treatment. He discusses depression in all age groups and in both sexes, as well as bipolar disorder, seasonal affective disorders, and depression that accompanies illness. This edition encompasses more than a decade of new research, advances in pharmacology, and changes in public perception. The past ten years have seen the release of new forms of the major antidepressants as well as other promising new avenues in pharmaceutical treatments. For example atypical or second generation antidepressants, such as venlafaxine and duloxetine, provide different ways of manipulating the chemical systems in the brain concerned with mood. And there have been significant advances in the use of MAO inhibitors, w available in patch form. Dr. Mondimore reviews these and other pharmacological therapies as part of a comprehensive approach to treatment that includes psychotherapy, family and community support, and lifestyle changes. Full of information compassionately presented, this guide provides hope and help to patients and their families.
- Author BiographyFrancis Mark Mondimore, M.D., is a psychiatrist and member of the faculty of the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. His books include Bipolar Disorder: A Guide for Patients and Families and Adolescent Depression: A Guide for Parents, both published by Johns Hopkins.
- Author(s)Francis Mark Mondimore
- PublisherJohns Hopkins University Press
- Date of Publication02/01/2007
- SubjectCoping with Problems & Illness
- Series TitleA Johns Hopkins Press Health Book
- Place of PublicationBaltimore, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJohns Hopkins University Press
- Content Note4, 4 black & white line drawings
- Weight454 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edition Statement3rd Revised edition
- Interest AgeFrom 18
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.