All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionRevolutionized by the sophisticated and refined works of Donatello and his contemporaries, relief sculpture acquired an unprecedented status during the Italian Renaissance. This volume has its origins in Depth of Field: Relief in the Time of Donatello, a unique collaboration between the Victoria and Albert Museum and the Henry Moore Institute in Leeds, and the first exhibition to focus specifically on this phemen. The exhibition and accompanying lectures reassessed relief sculpture as one of the most invative and experimental visual genres of fifteenth-century Italy. In this volume, leading scholars in the field respond to the challenges of the Leeds exhibition. The papers, selected from the conference and talks that accompanied Depth of Field, present new research on Donatello, Ghiberti, Agosti di Duccio and other sculptors. They also address the use of fictive relief by painters like Carlo Crivelli and Titian. Renaissance relief sculpture emerges as a uniquely adaptable medium, suited to invention and reproduction, but also loaded with cultural significance and ancient resonance.
- Author BiographyThe Editors: Donal Cooper is Lecturer in the History of Art at the University of Warwick, and has published widely on art and devotion in medieval and Renaissance Italy. Before joining Warwick he taught in the Research Department at the V&A and continues to contribute to the Museum's Medieval and Renaissance Galleries Project as a Visiting Fellow. Marika Leino is a Henry Moore Foundation postdoctoral research fellow at the University of Oxford, and is currently working on the publication of her doctoral thesis 'Italian Renaissance Plaquettes in Context' (2003). Her research interests include the reception, collecting and status of Italian Renaissance and early modern sculpture and the history of collections.
- PublisherVerlag Peter Lang
- Date of Publication01/02/2008
- SubjectThe Arts: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationPieterlen
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintVerlag Peter Lang
- Content Note61 coloured and 80 b&w illustrations
- Weight680 g
- Width220 mm
- Height150 mm
- Edited byDonal Cooper,Marika Leino
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $179.93New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.93New
- AU $93.61Used
- AU $93.61New
- AU $101.72New
- AU $81.15New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.20
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.64
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.36
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $74.31
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.06
- AU $22.66Trending at AU $23.29
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.