All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionStudies of the behavior and effects of pesticides in the environment have been conducted for decades and have been the subject of numerous symposia at American Chemical Society meetings. Originally most of this work focused on agricultural settings, but in the past three decades there has been increasing interest also in n-agricultural uses of pesticides. In the past few years, increasing attention has been paid to uses in residential settings. This ACS Symposium Series volume consists of 13 book chapters from authors making presentations at two symposia at the American Chemical Society 246th National Meeting and Exposition in September 2013 in Indianapolis, Indiana. Each chapter deals with agricultural and n-agricultural uses of pesticides. Ten of these book chapters are from presentations at the symposium entitled Assessing Potential Ecological and Human Health Effects from Fertilizer and Pesticide Use in Urban Environments, while the remaining three are from modeling papers from the symposium entitled Environmental Fate, Transport, and Modeling of Agriculturally Related Chemicals. Describing the Behavior and Effects of Pesticides in Urban and Agricultural Settings covers a number of different topics related to n-agricultural uses of pesticides, including: transport mechanisms associated with residential applications and associated modeling of these processes; modeling of storm water discharges from residential subdivisions; bioassessments performed on urban streams; monitoring of large rivers receiving water from urban areas; residues entering POTW (publicly owned treatment works, i.e., sewage treatment plants); analytical methods; and aspects related to the regulation of n-agricultural uses of pesticides. With contributions from some of the leading experts in the field, Describing the Behavior and Effects of Pesticides in Urban and Agricultural Settings will be a valuable resource for students, researchers, and professionals in the field of environmental studies and sciences.
- Author BiographyRussell L. Jones (Ph.D., University of California Berkeley) is currently a Fellow in Environmental Safety at Bayer CropScience in Research Triangle Park, NC, specializing in the behavior of crop protection products in soil and water. Research interests include the development of management practices for preventing movement of crop protection products to ground and surface water, design and conduct of field research studies, and the application of environmental modeling to risk assessment. He has authored or co-authored over 100 papers and 140 presentations at scientific meetings. Mah Shamim (Ph.D., Howard University) has been a Section Head and Branch Chief in Environmental Fate and Effects Division, Office of Pesticide Programs, United States Environmental Protection Agency since 1993. She manages multi-disciplinary teams of scientists involved in performing ecological risk assessments, endangered species assessments, and drinking water assessments to be used in dietary human risk assessments. Prior to joining the EPA in 1991, she served as a Senior Staff Fellow at the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, the National Institutes of Health (1989 - 1991) and as a Research Fellow at the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (1983 - 1989). Scott H. Jackson (Ph.D., Union University) is currently stewardship manager in the stewardship and sustainability group at BASF in Research Triangle Park, NC. He is responsible for managing risk assessments for human health, ecotoxicology, and spray drift as well as designing and supervising studies intended to monitor surface water, ground water and soil systems for environmental quality. He has authored or co-authored over 80 papers and 120 presentations at scientific meetings. He has organized or co-organized many symposiums at national meetings.
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication19/02/2015
- SubjectAgriculture & Farming
- Series TitleACS Symposium Series
- Place of PublicationWashington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAmerican Chemical Society
- Content Notewith 76 illustrations
- Weight666 g
- Width162 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine27 mm
- Edited byMah Shamim,Russell L. Jones,Scott H. Jackson
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $199.00Trending at AU $201.75
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.85
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.94
- AU $64.70Trending at AU $68.88
- AU $76.88Trending at AU $78.37
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.37
- AU $90.00Trending at AU $92.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.