All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis bestselling text gives students a less rigorous, less mathematical way of learning irganic chemistry, using the periodic table as a context for exploring chemical properties and uncovering relationships between elements in different groups. The authors help students understand the relevance of the subject to their lives by covering both the historical development and fascinating contemporary applications of irganic chemistry (especially in regard to industrial processes and environmental issues). The new edition offers new study tools, expanded coverage of biological applications, and new help with problem-solving.
- Author BiographyGeoff Rayner-Canham is Professor of Chemistry at the Grenfell Campus of Memorial University of Newfoundland, Canada. After having completing a Ph.D. in transition metal chemistry at Imperial College, London, England, he has spent the bulk of his teaching career in Canada with frequent sabbatical leaves at such diverse places as the Colorado School of Mines, the University of California, Santa Cruz, and the University of York. Being unable to find an inorganic chemistry text which used the concepts to explain the properties and uses of the chemical elements and compounds, he joined forces with Tina Overton to author Descriptive Inorganic Chemistry. Geoff has authored many publications relevant to the teaching of inorganic chemistry, including several on novel aspects of the Periodic Table. Recognition of his contributions to the teaching of chemistry have included the Chemistry Education Award of the Chemical Institute of Canada, and the National Science and Engineering Research Council of Canada PromoScience Award. Researching the life and work of pioneering women chemists is another of his activities, this work resulting in several books co-authored with Marelene Rayner-Canham. Tina Overton is Professor of Chemistry Education at the University of Hull, UK. She is deeply engaged in chemical education research, and has published extensively on the topics of critical thinking, context and problem-based learning, and the development of problem-solving skills. She has been awarded the Royal Society of Chemistry's HE Teaching Award, Tertiary Education Award and Nyholm Prize, and is a National Teaching Fellow and Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
- Author(s)Geoffrey Rayner-Canham,Tina Overton
- PublisherW.H.Freeman & Co Ltd
- Date of Publication11/03/2014
- SubjectScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintW.H.Freeman & Co Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight1423 g
- Width206 mm
- Height261 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Edition Statement6th Revised edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.68Trending at AU $111.07
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.34
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.33
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.01
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.98Trending at AU $53.06
- AU $22.83Trending at AU $27.18
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.