All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn a changing world everyone designs: each individual person and each collective subject, from enterprises to institutions, from communities to cities and regions, must define and enhance a life project. Sometimes these projects generate unprecedented solutions; sometimes they converge on common goals and realize larger transformations. As Ezio Manzini describes in this book, we are witnessing a wave of social invations as these changes unfold -- an expansive open co-design process in which new solutions are suggested and new meanings are created. Manzini distinguishes between diffuse design (performed by everybody) and expert design (performed by those who have been trained as designers) and describes how they interact. He maps what design experts can do to trigger and support meaningful social changes, focusing on emerging forms of collaboration. These range from community-supported agriculture in China to digital platforms for medical care in Canada; from interactive storytelling in India to collaborative housing in Milan. These cases illustrate how expert designers can support these collaborations -- making their existence more probable, their practice easier, their diffusion and their convergence in larger projects more effective. Manzini draws the first comprehensive picture of design for social invation: the most dynamic field of action for both expert and nexpert designers in the coming decades.
- Author BiographyEzio Manzini, a leading thinker in design for sustainability, founded DESIS: an international network on design for social innovation and sustainability ( http://www.desis-network.org). He has been Professor at the Politecnico di Milano and is currently guest Professor at Tongji University, Shanghai, Jiangnan University, Wuxi, and University of the Arts London.
- Author(s)Ezio Manzini
- PublisherMIT Press Ltd
- Date of Publication07/04/2015
- SubjectDesign & Commercial Art
- Series TitleDesign Thinking, Design Theory
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass.
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMIT Press
- Content Note21 b&w illus.
- Weight454 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Translated byRachel Coad
- Interest AgeFrom 18
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.82Trending at AU $43.72
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.50
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $77.17
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.01
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.03
- AU $34.79Trending at AU $42.43
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.76
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.