All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis in-depth history of the interior design of ocean liners surveys the transient history of interior design in relation to the development of passenger shipping, from commissioning by the line owners, methods and sources for the original creation of designs through to its construction, use and influence. It is a short-lived branch of architecture and design, lasting an average of fifteen years. As the design and taste mirrors and reinforces cultural assumptions about national identity, gender, class and race, t only did the interiors of ocean going liners reflect the changing hierarchies of society and shifting patterns in globalization, but the glamour and styling of the liners were reflected back into the design of interiors on land. Combining design history, architecture history, material and visual cultures, Designing Liners is a richly multidisciplinary work for those studying or researching this application of interior design.
- Author BiographyAnne Welleans is Professor at the School of Art and Design History at Kingston University. Her research interests include the history of luxury in interior design and decoration, particularly in relation to ocean liners. Anne has published widely on aspects of twentieth century visual and material culture. She has written for a range of journals and contributed to programmes broadcast on BBC Radio 4.
- Author(s)Anne Wealleans
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication20/09/2006
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note51 black & white halftones
- Weight453 g
- Width174 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best Selling in Textbooks
- AU $22.95New
- AU $77.48New
- AU $36.45New
- AU $30.03New
- AU $78.48New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $34.52Trending at AU $64.59
- AU $21.89Trending at AU $23.06
- AU $19.92Trending at AU $22.97
- AU $17.62Trending at AU $20.08
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $88.31
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $87.71
- AU $89.90Trending at AU $94.39
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.