All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA Choice Outstanding Academic Title for 2010. Designing the Modern Interior reveals how the design of the inside spaces of our homes and public buildings is shaped by and shapes our modern culture. The modern interior has often been narrowly defined by the minimalist work of elite, reforming architects. But a shared modernising impulse, expressed in interior design, extends at least as far back as the Victorians and reaches to our own time. And this spirit of modernisation manifested itself in interiors, designed both by professionals and by amateurs, which did t necessarily look modern and often even aimed to imitate the past. Designing the Modern Interior presents a new history of the interior from the late 19th to the 21st century. Particular characteristics are consistent across this period: a progressive attitude towards techlogy; a hyper-consciousness of what it is to live in the present and the future; an overt relationship with the mass media, mass consumption and the marketplace; an emphasis on individualism, interiority and the 'self'; the construction of identities determined by gender, class, race, sexuality and nationhood; and the experiences of urban and suburban life.
- Author BiographyPenny Sparke is Pro Vice-Chancellor (Research & Enterprise) at Kingston University and author of Elsie de Wolfe: The Birth of Modern Interior Decoration and An Introduction to Design and Culture: 1900 to the Present. Anne Massey is Professor of Design History at Kingston University and author of Designing Liners: A History of Interior Design Afloat and Interior Design since 1900. Trevor Keeble is Head of the School of Art and Design History at Kingston University. Brenda Martin is the Curator of the Dorich House Museum at Kingston University.
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication01/06/2009
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBerg Publishers
- Content Note1, black & white illustrations
- Weight772 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edited byAnne Massey,Brenda Martin,Penny Sparke,Trevor Keeble
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.02New
- AU $5.82New
- AU $23.00New
- AU $33.47New
- AU $30.62New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $62.02
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.88
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.33
- AU $29.58Trending at AU $30.62
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $53.06
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.55
- AU $39.26Trending at AU $43.67
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.