Desktops as a Service: Everything You Need to Know about Daas & Hosted VDI by Brian Madden, Gabe Knuth (Paperback / softback, 2014)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $46.95+ AU $29.00 postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $26.95+ AU $29.00 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhether you call it Desktops as a Service (DaaS), hosted VDI, or desktops in the cloud, everyone kws that the idea of outsourcing your Windows desktops and applications to service providers is a hot topic for companies today. Amazon has just launched AWS WorkSpaces, VMware bought Desktone, Citrix has 2600+ cloud service providers (CSPs), and dinCloud, TuCloud, and countless others are w offering DaaS services. These DaaS providers make all sorts of sensational claims about the benefits of moving your Windows desktops to the cloud. Save money! Outsource your troubles! Simplify your Windows desktop management! Solve your BYOD challenges! But are any of these true? Ultimately you just want to kw whether you should take the plunge with DaaS, and if so, what you need to look out for and how to succeed. This is what world-famous desktop virtualization analysts and bloggers Brian Madden and Gabe Knuth (the duo behind BrianMadden.com and BriForum) set out to do in this book. They've written it for the reader who's been charged with figuring out DaaS. (Probably via a scenario in which your boss cornered you in the hallway and said, Hey! What's this DaaS thing all about. You're in charge of figuring out whether we should do it! ) That's where this book comes in. In writing this book, Brian and Gabe interviewed dozens of people who work as DaaS providers, consultants, and end customers. They talked to people who love DaaS and who hate it, to people who are succeeding with DaaS and to people who have tried it and given up. The asked DaaS providers to share their war stories and for advice they'd give to potential customers. This book is t a head-to-head comparison of DaaS providers. Instead, it gives you the key facts you need to kw about DaaS. It digs into the various techlogies you need to understand by answering questions about how you handle networking, security, server placement, disk image management, application management, user authentication, and mobile devices. It examines what exactly you need to consider when evaluating potential DaaS platforms and providers, how you pick a provider to trust, what to look for in an SLA, and how you build a solid plan for migrating to (and exiting from) the most appropriate DaaS provider. The book ends with a massive list of 204 must answer questions you need to understand about your own environment and that you need ask your DaaS provider before starting your migration. It condenses their years of desktop virtualization, VDI, Citrix, and VMware experience into a single easily-readable volume. You get the benefit of their year of DaaS research, testing, and experimentation in a book you can read in an afteron. So whether you're thinking about DaaS, whether you're trying to avoid it, or whether you're on the fence, this book is for you! Table of Contents Introduction to DaaS The Promise (and Reality) of VDI How to Succeed with VDI Bringing in DaaS Advantages of DaaS Disadvantages and Challenges of DaaS Use Cases for DaaS Licensing: ( The True Cost of DaaS How to Pick a Windows Platform Desktop and Image Management Data Location and the Network Security Client Devices and BYOD How to Pick a DaaS Solution Migrating to DaaS Quitting DaaS Alternatives to DaaS The Future of Windows and DaaS 204 Questions You Need to Answer Before Migrating to DaaS
- Author BiographyBRIAN MADDEN is known throughout the world as an opinionated, super technical, fiercely-independent desktop virtualization expert. He's written several books and over 2,000 articles about VDI and desktop virtualization. His blog, BrianMadden.com, receives millions of visitors per year and is a leading source for conversation, debate, and discourse about the application and desktop virtualization industry. Brian is also the creator of BriForum, the premier independent application delivery technical conference. GABE KNUTH, known as the other guy at BrianMadden.com, has been in the desktop delivery space for 17 years, and has seen the industry evolve from the one-trick pony of Terminal Services to the application and desktop virtualization (and Daas!) of today. Having spent most of his IT career as a consultant, Gabe's focus tends to lean more toward practical, real-world technology in the industry, essentially boiling off the hype and reducing solutions to their usefulness in today's corporate environments. In addition to his blogs, Gabe is the co-creator of BriForum and can be seen speaking at events around the world.
- Author(s)Brian Madden,Gabe Knuth
- PublisherBurning Troll Productions, LLC
- Date of Publication25/02/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectComputing: Consumer Books ('Technical Trade')
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBurning Troll Productions, LLC
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight272 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Explore Buying Guides
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.90
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.85
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.18
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $34.77Trending at AU $42.60
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.