All listings for this product
About this product
- Description#1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER NAMED ONE OF THE TEN BEST BOOKS OF THE YEAR BY THE WASHINGTON POST AND ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS OF THE YEAR BY The New York Times Book Review - Time - NPR -St. Louis Post-DispatchIn this brilliant biography, Jon Meacham, the Pulitzer Prize winning author, chronicles the life of George Herbert Walker Bush. Drawing on President Bush s personal diaries, on the diaries of his wife, Barbara, and on extraordinary access to the forty-first president and his family, Meacham paints an intimate and surprising portrait of an intensely private man who led the nation through tumultuous times. From the Oval Office to Camp David, from his study in the private quarters of the White House to Air Force One, from the fall of the Berlin Wall to the first Gulf War to the end of Communism, Destiny and Power charts the thoughts, decisions, and emotions of a modern president who may have been the last of his kind. This is the human story of a man who was, like the nation he led, at once ble and flawed. His was one of the great American lives. Born into a loving, privileged, and competitive family, Bush joined the navy on his eighteenth birthday and at age twenty was shot down on a combat mission over the Pacific. He married young, started a family, and resisted pressure to go to Wall Street, striking out for the adventurous world of Texas oil. Over the course of three decades, Bush would rise from the chairmanship of his county Republican Party to serve as congressman, ambassador to the United Nations, head of the Republican National Committee, envoy to China, director of Central Intelligence, vice president under Ronald Reagan, and, finally, president of the United States. In retirement he became the first president since John Adams to see his son win the ultimate prize in American politics. With access t only to the Bush diaries but, through extensive interviews, to the former president himself, Meacham presents Bush s candid assessments of many of the critical figures of the age, ranging from Richard Nixon to Nancy Reagan; Mao to Mikhail Gorbachev; Dick Cheney to Donald Rumsfeld; Henry Kissinger to Bill Clinton. Here is high politics as it really is but as we rarely see it. From the Pacific to the presidency, Destiny and Power charts the vicissitudes of the life of this quietly compelling American original. Meacham sheds new light on the rise of the right wing in the Republican Party, a shift that signaled the beginning of the end of the center in American politics. Destiny and Power is an affecting portrait of a man who, driven by destiny and by duty, forever sought, ultimately, to put the country first. Praise for Destiny and Power Should be required reading if t for every presidential candidate, then for every president-elect. The Washington Post Reflects the qualities of both subject and biographer: judicious, balanced, deliberative, with a deep appreciation of history and the personalities who shape it. The New York Times Book Review A fascinating biography of the forty-first president. The Dallas Morning News When we rank, reconsider, laud, or deunce past Presidents, living or dead, we are taking stock of our own times. In that sense, the vindication of George H. W. Bush is a reflection of what we kw we ve lost. Jon Meacham s new biography of Bush, Destiny and Power, makes that plain from its very first pages. The New Yorker The story of the forty-first man to hold the office sheds light t only on the country we were, but the one we ve become. Los Angeles TimesFrom the Hardcover edition.
- Author BiographyJon Meachamreceived the Pulitzer Prize for his 2008 biography of Andrew Jackson, American Lion. He is also the author of theNew York TimesbestsellersThomas Jefferson: The Art of Power, American Gospel, andFranklin and Winston. Meacham, who teaches at Vanderbilt University and at The University of the South, is a fellow of the Society of American Historians. He lives in Nashville and in Sewanee with his wife and children.
- Author(s)Jon Meacham
- PublisherRandom House Audio Publishing Group
- Date of Publication10/11/2015
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRandom House Audio Publishing Group
- Weight499 g
- Width130 mm
- Height150 mm
- Spine58 mm
- Read byPaul Michael
- Contained items statement20 Audio CDs
- Format DetailsCD standard audio format
- Running Time1500
Best-selling in Audio Books
Save on Audio Books
- AU $20.36Trending at AU $34.83
- AU $31.87Trending at AU $36.49
- AU $18.32Trending at AU $19.58
- AU $14.83Trending at AU $18.20
- AU $20.72Trending at AU $21.30
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $44.96
- AU $28.34Trending at AU $35.28
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.