All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionIn Developing Academic Language with the SIOP(R) Model, teachers and teacher candidates get an informative look at how to use the highly effective SIOP Model to design effective lessons that meet high standards, while scaffolding content information and promoting language skills and development for all students-English learners and native English speakers alike-in today's age of the Common Core and other state standards. The focus is on ways to develop and advance English learners' proficiency in academic English across all grades and all subjects so they are able to access and acquire information related to academic topics; communicate and produce information in academic contexts; and create and extend kwledge through linguistic, conceptual, and sociocultural choices. The book is packed with practical guidelines, activities, techniques, and sample lessons.
- Author BiographyDeborah J. Short, Ph.D., directs Academic Language Research & Training, a consulting company, and provides professional development on sheltered instruction and academic literacy worldwide. Formerly she was a Division Director at the Center for Applied Linguistics, Washington, DC where she co-developed the research-validated SIOP Model for sheltered instruction. She has directed numerous research studies on English language learners funded by the Carnegie Corporation of New York, the Rockefeller Foundation, and the U.S. Department of Education, among others. Her publications include journal articles, the SIOP Model book series, and several ESL textbook series for National Geographic Learning/Cengage. She taught English as a second/foreign language in New York, California, Virginia, and the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Jana Echevarria, Ph.D., is Professor Emerita at California State University, Long Beach where she was selected as Outstanding Professor. She has taught in elementary, middle, and high school in general education, special education, ESL, and bilingual programs. An internationally known expert on second language learners, her research and publications focus on effective instruction for English learners, including those with learning disabilities. She has presented her research across the U.S. and internationally including Oxford University (England), Wits University (South Africa), Harvard University (U.S.), South East Europe University (Macedonia), and University of Barcelona (Spain). A founding researcher of the Sheltered Instruction Observational Protocol, commonly known as SIOP, her publications include over 50 books, book chapters and journal articles.
- Author(s)Deborah J. Short
- PublisherPearson Education (US)
- Date of Publication14/03/2014
- SubjectELT Course Materials
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight295 g
- Width203 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine10 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.