Developing Bioinformatics Computer Skills by Cynthia Gibas, Per Jambeck (Paperback, 2001)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $44.67Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by buyitnowbooksoz2010
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $29.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBioinformatics--the application of computational and analytical methods to biological problems--is a rapidly evolving scientific discipline. Geme sequencing projects are producing vast amounts of biological data for many different organisms, and, increasingly, storing these data in public databases. Such biological databases are growing exponentially, along with the biological literature. It's impossible for even the most zealous researcher to stay on top of necessary information in the field without the aid of computer-based tools. Bioinformatics is all about building these tools. Developing Bioinformatics Computer Skills is for scientists and students who are learning computational approaches to biology for the first time, as well as for experienced biology researchers who are just starting to use computers to handle their data. The book covers the Unix file system, building tools and databases for bioinformatics, computational approaches to biological problems, an introduction to Perl for bioinformatics, data mining, and data visualization. Written in a clear, engaging style, Developing Bioinformatics Computer Skills will help biologists develop a structured approach to biological data as well as the tools they'll need to analyze the data.
- Author BiographyCynthia Gibas is an assistant professor of biology at Virginia Tech, in Blacksburg, VA. Her research interest is in physicochemical properties of proteins and protein structure/function relationships. While at Virginia Tech, she has built a 32node AMD Athlonbased Linux cluster from parts, and helped her colleagues design curriculum options in bioinformatics. She teaches introductory courses in bioinformatics and biological sequence analysis. She has a Ph.D. in biophysics and computational biology from the University of Illinois. Per Jambeck is a Ph.D. student in the bioengineering department at the University of California, San Diego. He has worked on computational biology since 1994, concentrating on machine learning applications in understanding multidimensional biological data. Per smiles wistfully at the mention of free time, but he manages to host shows at community and studentrun radio stations anyway.
- Author(s)Cynthia Gibas,Per Jambeck
- PublisherO'Reilly Media, Inc, USA
- Date of Publication18/05/2001
- SubjectLife Sciences: General
- Place of PublicationSebastopol
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintO'Reilly Media, Inc, USA
- Content Note1, black & white illustrations
- Weight710 g
- Width178 mm
- Height233 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $33.32New
- AU $30.40New
- AU $20.46New
- AU $30.87New
- AU $21.83New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $10.59Trending at AU $13.66
- AU $60.89Trending at AU $63.18
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.28
- AU $28.30Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $44.93Trending at AU $46.37
- AU $18.77Trending at AU $25.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.