Developing Essential Understanding of Geometry for Teaching Mathematics: Grades 9-12 by David Pimm, Melanie Skelin, Nathalie Sinclair (Paperback, 2012)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $51.81Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $67.43+ AU $24.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhy does it matter whether we state definitions carefully when we all kw what particular geometric figures look like? What does it mean to say that a reflection is a transformation-a function? How does the study of transformations and matrices in high school connect with later work with vector spaces in linear algebra? How much do you kw...and how much do you need to kw? Helping your students develop a robust understanding of geometry requires that you understand this mathematics deeply. But what does that mean? This book focuses on essential kwledge for teachers about geometry. It is organised around four big ideas, supported by multiple smaller, interconnected ideas-essential understandings. Taking you beyond a simple introduction to geometry, the book will broaden and deepen your mathematical understanding of one of the most challenging topics for students-and teachers. It will help you engage your students, anticipate their perplexities, avoid pitfalls, and dispel misconceptions. You will also learn to develop appropriate tasks, techniques, and tools for assessing students' understanding of the topic. Focus on the ideas that you need to understand thoroughly to teach confidently. Move beyond the mathematics you expect your students to learn. Students who fail to get a solid grounding in pivotal concepts struggle in subsequent work in mathematics and related disciplines. By bringing a deeper understanding to your teaching, you can help students who don't get it the first time by presenting the mathematics in multiple ways. The Essential Understanding Series addresses topics in school mathematics that are critical to the mathematical development of students but are often difficult to teach. Each book in the series gives an overview of the topic, highlights the differences between what teachers and students need to kw, examines the big ideas and related essential understandings, reconsiders the ideas presented in light of connections with other mathematical ideas, and includes questions for readers' reflection.
- Author(s)David Pimm,Melanie Skelin,Nathalie Sinclair
- PublisherNational Council of Teachers of Mathematics,U.S.
- Date of Publication30/04/2012
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Series TitleDeveloping Essential Understanding
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNational Council of Teachers of Mathematics,U.S.
- Content Noteillustrations
- Series Edited byRose Mary Zbiek
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $191.05New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.93New
- AU $93.61Used
- AU $93.61New
- AU $101.72New
- AU $81.15New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.20
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.64
- AU $39.00Trending at AU $50.36
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $74.31
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.