All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe volume presents current views on the achievements made in the study of Systemic Functional Linguistics in both theory and application, and on the potential domains and directions for its further development. The first part addresses issues on strengthening theoretical research and description in system network, on deepening our understanding of the concept of choice and of consequences arising from making choices in particular social contexts. It also makes comparisons of different models within SFL and if similarities and differences between SFL and ather linguistic model. Part Two deals with issues on further developing SFL as an applicable linguistics. After summing up its fifty years of refinement as a theory through constant endeavours of application, the volume offers an explicit definition of Applicable Discourse Analysis, and presents views on the potential areas, methods and criteria for verbal and multimodal discourse analysis, with examples. The final part of the volume discusses potential directions for SFL, including expanding SFL typological research into other languages than English, an in other countries than the major English speaking ones, exploring solutions to the challenges faced by multimodal discourse, extending traditional translation studies to other modes, making stylistics studies across different disciplines, exploring the potential of SFL to tackle the challenges confronting language education at both macro and micro levels, and seeking the road of globalizing SFL by developing an ideal software and establishing a global cyberspace institution.
- Author BiographyFang Yan taught at Peking University and then at Tsinghua University until retirement in 2004. Jonathan J. Webster is Professor and Head, Department of Chinese, Translation and Linguistics, and Director, The Halliday Centre for Intelligent Applications of Language Studies at the City University of Hong Kong. He is also the General Editor of the Equinox journal Linguistics and the Human Sciences and the editor (with Ruqaiya Hasan and Christian Matthiessen) of the two volume Continuing Discourse on Language: A Functional Perspective (Equinox, 2007).
- PublisherEquinox Publishing Ltd
- Date of Publication01/07/2013
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintEquinox Publishing Ltd
- Content Noteillustrations (black and white)
- Weight726 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Edited byFang Yan,Jonathan J. Webster
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.67Trending at AU $110.48
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $35.44Trending at AU $40.48
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $78.90
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.81
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.75
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.