Developmental Issues in Small Island Economies by Clement A. Tisdell, David L. McKee (Hardback, 1990)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $129.69Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by oodals
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $42.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis volume fills a gap in the literature by analyzing basic issues in development ecomics as they affect a particular type of Third World nation - small island ecomies. Using practical examples from the Caribbean Basin and the South Pacific, the authors examine in depth structural and employment issues, demographic and socioecomic issues, and environmental and natural resource issues. Their aim throughout is to identify and assess the particular and unique development problems faced by small island ecomies so that effective policies can be derived that will more accurately reflect socioecomic realities in these areas. Following an introductory overview, the authors discuss the role of staple exports in the ecomic well being of small island ecomies as well as issues relating to manufacturing and service sector activities and the structural and employment impacts of tourism. In Part Two, they turn to an exploration of demographic and socioecomic issues including the effects of urbanization on the development process, the implications of migration from and between small island nations, the brain drain problem, and the relationship between criminal activity and development. Part Three shifts the focus from people-oriented issues to concerns related to agriculture and resource utilization. Separate chapters address agriculture in the developmental mix, the use of fisheries, forest resources, minerals, and conservation issues. The final section looks at the international considerations raised by the study and outlines the policy implications of the authors' findings. Students of development ecomics, international trade, and finance will find this an invaluable contribution to the greater understanding of the specific development problems faced by small island ecomies.
- Author BiographyDAVID L. MCKEE is Professor of Economics at Kent State University. His previous books incude Growth, Development, and the Service Economy in the Third World (Praeger, 1988), Canadian-American Economic Relations: Conflict and Cooperation on a Continental Scale (edited) (Praeger, 1988) and Hostile Takeovers: Issues in Public and Corporate Policy (edited) (Praeger, 1989). CLEM TISDELL is Professor of Economics and Head of the Department of Economics at the University of Queensland, Australia. Among his many books are Natural Resources, Growth and Development: Economics, Ecology and Resource-Scarcity (Praeger, 1990), Technological Change, Development, and the Environment: Socio-Economic Perspectives (edited with P. Maitra) ed Control Economics (with B. Auld and K. Menz) and Science and Technology Policy: Priorities of Governments.
- Author(s)Clement A. Tisdell,David L. McKee
- Date of Publication24/08/1990
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPraeger Publishers Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight478 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $33.36
- AU $50.09Trending at AU $53.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.