All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThroughout its 130+year history, Devon House has captured the imagination of Jamaicans ever since it was built in 1881 by Jamaica's first black millionaire George Stiebel. It is a history that has been colourful, at times shrouded in mystery, tragic and controversial. The story of this 'house of dreams' is being fully told for the first time in this book by Enid Shields through the lives of the families who owned and lived in Devon House. The author's easy, almost 'gossipy style' of writing brings the families and Devon House vividly to life while preserving the accuracy and authenticity of the story. Winner of an American Express 1990 Historic Preservation Award, Devon House is today the centre of social life in Kingston. Its restaurants, numerous craft, ice-cream and pastry shops and flower pavilions make it a popular venue for tourist outings, family reunions and wedding parties.
- Author(s)Enid Shields
- PublisherIan Randle Publishers,Jamaica
- Date of Publication02/01/1991
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationKingston
- Country of PublicationJamaica
- ImprintIan Randle Publishers,Jamaica
- Content NoteIllustrations, ports.
- Weight825 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $126.09New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.71New
- AU $93.44Used
- AU $101.53New
- AU $78.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.05
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $89.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.49
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.27
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.17
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.86
- AU $21.20Trending at AU $23.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.