All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHuman distress is sometimes thought of as 'psychopathology', a thing separate to the person, that affects people; a thing that can be diagsed, treated and hopefully cured. This mindset leads psychiatrists, psychologists and other therapists to develop 'evidence bases' for specific 'disorders' and manualised forms of 'treatment'. While there are advantages to this way of seeing distress, it is clearly only one framework and sometimes leaves the client feeling depersonalised and unheard. It is also a view that has been critiqued and criticised by service users and professionals alike. Diagsis and Beyond: Counselling psychology contributions to understanding human distress explores forms of distress such as depression, anxiety, phobias and personality disorder going beyond what can sometimes appear as meaningless and horribly painful experiences to describe the meanings that can be embedded within these difficulties. The book also considers ways in which therapists and clients can create meaning, hope and possibility through robust, relational therapeutic processes.By recognising the universality of human distress, the contributors also discuss the ways in which their own experiences and feelings are a legitimate, and central, part of the therapeutic process.
- Author BiographyProf. Martin Milton is Professor of Counselling Psychology at Regents University London and also runs an independent practice in counselling psychology and psychotherapy. He is editor of Diagnosis and Beyond (PCCS Books, 2012) and Therapy and Beyond (Wiley-Blackwell, 2010) and has published in a range of academic journals. Martin is on the editorial board of Counselling Psychology Review and Psychology of Sexualities Review.
- PublisherPCCS Books
- Date of Publication01/05/2012
- SubjectMedicine: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationManchester
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPCCS Books
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight249 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine809 mm
- Edited byMartin Milton
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.73
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.