All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe theory of social kwledge developed in this book is based on dialogicality and the theory of social representations. It is argued that dialogicality, the capacity of the human mind to conceive, create and communicate about social realities in terms of, or in opposition to, otherness, is the sine qua n of the human mind. Social representations are sharply distinguished from mental and collective representations. Being embedded in history and culture, social representations manifest themselves in public discourses and social thinking about phemena, which touch in some fundamental ways upon social realities, e.g. political, ecological or health related. The theory of social representations places communication and the concept of change in the centre of social psychology. Ivana Markova's book is unique in bringing together the concept of dialogue and social kwledge and will make an important contribution to social psychology, social and human sciences and communication studies.
- Author BiographyIvana Markova was born in Czechoslovakia but has lived in the UK since 1967. She is Professor of Psychology at the University of Stirling and has been a visiting professor at the Universities of Oslo, Bern, Paris, Linkoping, Mexico and Bologna. She directs three international research groups in the European Laboratory of Social Psychology at the Maison des Sciences de l'Homme in Paris. She is also a Fellow of the British Academy, a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh and of the British Psychological Scoiety. Previous books include Paradigms, Thought and Language (1982), Human Awareness (1987), Mutualities of Dialogue ed. (1995).
- Author(s)Ivana Markova
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication27/11/2003
- SubjectPsychology: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note15 b/w illus. 1 table
- Weight530 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine17 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $28.44Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $89.84
- AU $19.32Trending at AU $21.95
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.37
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $34.59
- AU $39.51Trending at AU $40.01
- AU $40.71Trending at AU $41.16
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.