Diet and Cancer: Markers, Prevention, and Treatment by Springer-Verlag New York Inc. (Paperback, 2013)
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe American Institute for Cancer Research (AICR) sponsored its third annual confer- ence on nutrition and cancer. The theme was Diet and Cancer: Markers, Prevention, and Treatment. The conference was held October 29-30, 1992 at the Ritz Carlton Hotel in McLean, Virginia. This proceedings contains chapters from the platform presentations and abstracts from the poster presentations. Several chapters address each of four session topics: Retiids as Differentiation Agents in Cancer Therapy, Biological Markers of Cancer Risk, Chemoprevention of Cancer by Non-Nutrients in Foods, and Nutritional Problems and Support in the Treatment of Cancer. The first three chapters discuss in detail different mechanisms by which retiids influence differentiation and provide evidence to support their use in cancer therapy. In vivo and in vitro studies show the effects of retiic acid (RA) on tumorigenicity and cellu- lar/molecular events. A sypsis of data showing the involvement of the retiblastoma (RB) gene in HL-60 cell differentiation induced by RA and 1,2S-dihydroxy vitamin D3 (VD) is presented. In SCID (severe combined immudeficiency) mice injected with HL-60 3 human leukemia cells and gavaged daily with RA, the number of tumor sites and number of mice with tumors are reduced. All trans-RA induces myeloid differentiation in HL-60 cells. Similarly, VD3 induces HL-60 mocytic differentiation. In both cases an early down regulation of retiblastoma (RB) gene expression precedes the differentiation.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication06/06/2013
- SubjectLife Sciences: General
- Series TitleAdvances in Experimental Medicine and Biology
- Series Part/Volume Number375
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight433 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byMaryce M. Jacobs
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1994
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.87
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $30.98
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $29.55Trending at AU $34.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.