All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFinding all the information necessary to treat or meet the nutritional requirements of patients who are severely ill or establish new protocols has historically been problematic. This is addressed in Diet and Nutrition in Critical Care. This major reference work encapsulates the latest treatments and procedures to meet the dietary and nutritional needs of the critically ill. Where evidence is available this is presented. However, where evidence is absent, the authors highlight this and provide guidance based on their analysis of other available data and their clinical experience. Diet and Nutrition in Critical Care is a two volume set which addresses the needs of all those concerned with diet and nutrition in the critically ill and covers General Aspects, Enteral Aspects, and Parenteral Aspects. Each volume is stand alone and is further divided into separate sections. The Sections in the General Aspects are: General conditions in the severely ill General metabolic effects and treatments Assessment protocols General nutritional aspects Specific nutrients Adverse aspects The next two volumes Enteral Aspects and Parenteral Aspects contain the following sections: General aspects and methods Specific nutrients Specific conditions Adverse aspects and outcomes Comparisons or dual parenteral and enteral support or transitions Preclinical studies The authors recognise the limitations in simplistic divisions and there is always difficulty in categorising treatment regimens. For example, some regimens involve transitions from one feeding protocol to ather or the development of co-morbid conditions and in some cases enteral support may be supplemented with parenteral support. This complexity however, is addressed by the excellent indexing system. Contributors are authors of international and national standing, leaders in the field and trendsetters. Emerging fields of science and important discoveries relating to artificial support will also be incorporated into Diet and Nutrition in Critical Care. This volume represents a one stop shop of material related to enteral and parenteral support and is essential reading for those specialising in intensive and critical care, dietitians, nutritionists, gastroenterologists, cardiologists, pharmacologists, health care professionals, research scientists, molecular or cellular biochemists, general practitioners as well as those interested in diet and nutrition in general.
- Author BiographyDr Rajkumar Rajendram is Locum Consultant in General Medicine at John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, and Visiting Research Fellow in the Nutritional Sciences Research Division at King's College London, United Kingdom. Dr Rajendram graduated in 2001 with a distinction from Guy's, King's and St. Thomas Medical School, in London. This was followed by training in general medicine and intensive care in Oxford. He attained membership of the Royal College of Physicians (MRCP) in 2004. Dr Rajendram went on to train in anaesthesia and intensive care in the Central School of Anaesthesia, London Deanery, and became a fellow of the Royal College of Anaesthetists (FRCA) in 2009. He has completed higher training in regional anaesthesia, pain medicine, and intensive care, and devoted significant time and effort into nutritional science research. He has published over 50 textbook chapters, review articles, peer-reviewed papers, and abstracts. Professor Victor R. Preedy is a senior faculty member of King's College London (Professor of Nutritional Biochemistry) and King's College Hospital (Professor of Clinical Biochemistry). He is attached to both the Diabetes and Nutritional Sciences Division and the Department of Nutrition and Dietetics. He is also Director of the Genomics Centre and a member of the School of Medicine. Professor Preedy graduated in 1974 with an Honours Degree in Biology and Physiology with Pharmacology. He gained his University of London PhD in 1981. In 1993 he gained his second doctoral degree, for his outstanding contribution to protein metabolism in health and disease. He has received membership and fellowship of a number of academic and professional bodies in the UK, including the Royal College of Pathologists, the Royal Institute of Public Health, and the Royal Society of Chemistry. Professor Preedy has published over 570 articles, which includes 165 peer-reviewed manuscripts based on original research, 100 reviews, and over 50 books and book volumes. Dr Vinood B. Patel is currently a Senior Lecturer in Clinical Biochemistry at the University of Westminster and Honorary Fellow at King's College London. He graduated from the University of Portsmouth with a degree in Pharmacology and completed his PhD in protein metabolism from King's College London in 1997. Dr Patel presently directs studies on metabolic pathways involved in alcoholic liver disease, particularly those related to mitochondrial energy regulation and cell death. Other areas include understanding the use of visceral osteopathic treatment for autistic children, and studying this effect on their behavioral and gastrointestinal function. In addition, research is being undertaken to study iron homeostatic regulation and the role of nutrients and fatty acids in the development of fatty liver disease. Dr Patel has published two recent books in the area of nutrition and health prevention, edited several biomedical books and has published over 150 articles.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication12/06/2015
- SubjectClinical Medicine: Professional
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Note174 black & white illustrations, 239 colour illustrations, biography
- Weight4405 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine127 mm
- Edited byDr Rajkumar Rajendram,Victor R. Preedy,Vinood B. Patel
- Contained items statement2 Hardbacks
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $126.09New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.71New
- AU $93.44Used
- AU $101.53New
- AU $78.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.05
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $89.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.49
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.27
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.17
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.86
- AU $22.63Trending at AU $23.24
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.