All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDeconstructive rewritings are re-visions. This mograph engages Robinson Crusoe in tandem with two of its re-visions, Michel Tournier's Friday and J. M. Coetzee's Foe, from the perspective of the Enlightenment ideology. Basing the argument upon the assumption that Robinson Crusoe is a myth of the Enlightenment ideology representing the master narrative of the Enlightenment discourse, the book examines how the major ideological themes of the Enlightenment master narrative as manifested through the myth of Robinson Crusoe are rearticulated in Friday and Foe. It dismantles how these two re-visions, through deconstructive freeplay, question and more importantly deconstruct the basic premises and principles, or the concepts that enjoy the full presence of an absolute signified in the myth of Robinson Crusoe. Thus these re-visions t only transform the logocentric repressive structure in Defoe's text into open-ended and dialogic discourses, they also partly constitute a chain of differance in signifying the myth of Robinson Crusoe. The author desires to generate large-scale understandings from small-scale insights through this research.
- Author BiographyRen Haiyan is Assistant Professor of English and American Literature at Hunan Normal University, China. Her fields of interest are (the) 18
th century English novel, (the) modern and postmodern American and English novel, and contemporary critical theories.
- Author(s)Haiyan Ren
- PublisherPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Date of Publication18/07/2014
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- First Published2014
- ImprintPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Weight270 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $85.90Trending at AU $90.74
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $83.67
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $100.17
- AU $64.63Trending at AU $68.59
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $99.90Trending at AU $101.25
- AU $95.00Trending at AU $98.79
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.