All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCritical effects in semiclassical scattering, in which the standard approximations break down, are associated with forward peaking, rainbows, glories, orbiting and resonances. Besides giving rise to beautiful optical effects in the atmosphere, critical effects have important applications in many areas of physics. However, their interpretation and accurate treatment is difficult. This book, based on the Elliott Montroll Lectures, given at the University of Rochester, deals with the theory of these critical effects. After a preliminary chapter in which the problem of critical effects is posed, the next three chapters on coronae, rainbows and glories are written so as to be accessible to a broader audience. The main part of the book then describes the results obtained from the application of complex angular momentum techniques to scattering by homogeneous spheres. These techniques lead to practically usable asymptotic approximations, and to new physical insights into critical effects. A new conceptual picture of diffraction, regarded as a tunnelling effect, emerges. The final two chapters contain brief descriptions of applications to a broad range of fields, including linear and nlinear optics, radiative transfer, astromy, acoustics, seismology, atomic, nuclear and particle physics.
- Author(s)H. M. Nussenzveig
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication20/04/2006
- Series TitleMontroll Memorial Lecture Series in Mathematical Physics
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 1
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note85 b/w illus.
- Weight380 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.03
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.19
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $27.67
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $49.72
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.45
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.