All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Internet, World Wide Web, and digital devices have fundamentally changed the way people communicate, affecting everything from business, to school, to family, to religion, to democracy. This textbook takes a well-rounded view of the evolution from media literacy to digital literacy to help students better understand the digitally filtered world in which they live. The text explores digital literacy through three lenses: historical: reviews snapshots of time and space to delineate how things were in order to lend context to how they are; cultural: explores how values and ideals are constructed and conveyed within a given cultural context - how humans absorb and share the informal rules and rms that make up a society; and, critical: illuminates how social changes - particularly rapid ones - can put certain people at a disadvantage. All three angles are helpful for better understanding the myriad ways in which our identities and relationships are being altered by techlogy, and what it means to be a citizen in a society that has become individualized and is in constant flux. Written in a conversational and approachable style, the text is easy to navigate, with short chapters, short paragraphs, and bullet points. Comics and images illustrate complex topics and add visual interest. The text is ideal for media literacy, digital information literacy, and techlogy courses that seek to integrate human impact into the mix. It is also a good starting point for anyone wanting to kw more about the impact of communication techlogies on our lives.
- Author BiographySusan Wiesinger (PhD, Purdue University) is a professor of Journalism & Public Relations at California State University, Chico. She is the co-author of Media Smackdown: Deconstructing the News and the Future of Journalism (Peter Lang, 2013). Ralph Beliveau is an associate professor in The Gaylord College of Journalism & Mass Communication at The University of Oklahoma. He holds a PhD from the University of Iowa and a bachelor's degree from Northwestern University.
- Author(s)Ralph Beliveau,Susan Wiesinger
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication24/01/2016
- SubjectUsage & Writing Guides
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2016
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight360 g
- Width180 mm
- Height255 mm
- Spine8 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.72
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.50
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $77.17
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.01
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.03
- AU $34.78Trending at AU $42.43
- AU $21.43Trending at AU $24.76
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.