All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFood is an important theme in Jane Austen's vels - it is used as a commodity for showing off, as a way of showing kindliness among neighbours, as part of the dynamics of family life, and - of course - for comic effect. Dinner with Mr Darcy takes authentic' recipes from the period, inspired by the food that features in Austen's vels and letters, and adapts them for contemporary cooks. The text is interwoven throughout with quotes from the vels, and feature spreads cover some of the key themes of food and eating in Austen's time, including table arrangements, kitchens and gardens, changing mealtimes, and servants and service. Whether you are hoping to beguile a single gentleman in possession of a substantial fortune, or you just want to have your own version of the picnic on Box Hill in Emma, you will find fully updated recipes using easily available ingredients to help you recreate the dishes and dining experiences of Jane Austen's characters and their contemporaries.
- Author BiographyPen Vogler is the editor of Penguin's Great Food series. She has given talks and tastings on food history, including meals and dining in the Georgian era, around the UK, and has appeared on television, cooking and discussing food from the Victorian and Tudor periods. Her work on food has appeared in the Guardian, the Observer and The Lady and on her blog, Pen's Great Food Club (greatfoodclub.tumblr.com), where she describes cooking with recipes from history. She is the founder member of a food club in London. The author is based in St Ippolyts, Hertfordshire.
- Author(s)Pen Vogler
- PublisherCICO Books
- Date of Publication10/10/2013
- SubjectNational & Regional Cuisine
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCICO Books
- Content Note80 col photographs and artworks
- Weight729 g
- Width190 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.89
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $25.48Trending at AU $28.39
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $14.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.