All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is a large format field guide (a playful tion) to the true disaurs - the Tetrapoda ( pterosaurs or marine reptiles). Disaur taxomy is complex and contentious, and while more than 1500 species have been claimed, many records are based on partial remains or are without adequate scientific documentation. The author recognises 600+ species. An extensive introduction treats a wide range of topics from taxomy, evolution, biology and behaviour to a discussion of fossil discoveries and paleontological research. The bulk of the book is devoted to full treatment of the five disaur groups: protodisaurs; predatory disaurs and protobirds; prosauropods; sauropods; and ornithiscians. After each family introduction, the species text includes biometrics, fossil remains (proportion of full animal recovered and sites at which specimens have been found), age, distribution and formations, habitat (where kwn), and habits (mainly based on anatomical features). The level of kwledge about species varies considerably and this is fully reflected in the species accounts. Many of the species descriptions are accompanied by black-and-white anatomical reconstructions and/or skull diagrams as well as numerous colour renderings of the complete animal. There are also supplementary illustrations - eggs, trackways, herds, juveniles and so forth - and evocative colour and black-and-white 'scenes' of disaur behaviour.
- Author BiographyGregory Paul is an independent scholar and 'paleoartist.' He is author and illustrator of Predatory Dinosaurs of the World (Simon & Schuster, 1989) and Dinosaurs of the Air (Johns Hopkins, 2002), and editor of The Scientific American Book of the Dinosaurs (St Martin's Press, 2003). His scientific writings and papers have appeared in Scientific American, The New York Times, Nature and numerous specialist journals and publications.
- Author(s)Gregory S. Paul
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication31/10/2010
- SubjectNatural History: General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintA & C Black Publishers Ltd
- Content Note150+ colour artworks and hundreds of line drawings
- Width216 mm
- Height280 mm
- Spine28 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $61.99Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $24.60Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.