All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionValentine Chirol was a unique figure on the world stage in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. As Foreign Editor of The Times of London from 1899 until 1912, a newspaper then unrivalled in scope and influence, he t only reported on some of the key moments in world history but used his considerable influence to shape them. This was the man referred to by the Chancellor of Germany, Count von Bulow, as one of the most dangerous enemies of the German Empire. Valentine Chirol played a singular part in alerting the world to the dangers of conflict as war clouds gathered over a fast modernizing world. A committed imperialist, Chirol travelled tirelessly thoughout the British Empire and supervised an outstanding team of foreign correspondents posted from Tokyo to Tangier, Berlin to Johannesberg. He explained the reasons for wars from South Africa to China, and analysed revolutions in Teheran, Constantiple and St Petersburg. Taken altogether there is doubt that his voice impinged on the self-selected world of nineteenth century diplomacy. His sharp eye and insightful comments, coupled with his insider status, called the powerful to account and helped change the atmosphere in which foreign policy decisions were taken. In this wide-ranging biography, Linda Fritzinger paints a skilful portrait of a man at the heart of the greatest events of his period. Including new sources and extracts from Chirol's own elegant and skilful writing, Diplomat without Portfolio provides a remarkable view of world history at the dawn of the twentieth century.
- Author BiographyLinda B. Fritzinger studied at New York University and Cambridge University. She is currently an independent scholar working and living in New York City.
- Author(s)Linda Fritzinger
- PublisherI.B.Tauris & Co Ltd
- Date of Publication26/05/2006
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight1030 g
- Width160 mm
- Height242 mm
- Spine46 mm
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $71.84New
- AU $64.55Used
- AU $78.24New
- AU $104.93New
- AU $75.19Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $38.97Trending at AU $68.87
- AU $75.90Trending at AU $79.74
- AU $21.18Trending at AU $22.96
- AU $89.88Trending at AU $93.97
- AU $19.59Trending at AU $32.40
- AU $22.08Trending at AU $22.86
- AU $79.99Trending at AU $101.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.