All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionGrouped around four central themes - illness and impairment, disabling processes, care and control, and communication and representations - this collection offers a fresh perspective on disability research, showing how theory and data can be brought together in new and exciting ways. Disability Research Today starts by showing how engaging with issues around illness and impairment is vital to a multidisciplinary understanding of disability as a social process. The second section explores factors that affect disabled people, such as homelessness, violence and unemployment. The third section turns to social care, and how disabled people are prevented from living with independence and dignity. Finally, the last section examines how different imagery and techlogy impacts our understandings of disability and deafness. Showcasing empirical work from a range of countries, including Japan, Norway, Italy, Australia, India, the UK, Turkey, Finland and Iceland, this collection shows how disability studies can be simultaneously sophisticated, accessible and policy-relevant. Disability Research Today is suitable for students and researchers in disability studies, sociology, social policy, social work, nursing and health studies.
- Author BiographyTom Shakespeare is Senior Lecturer in Medical Sociology at the Medical School of the University of East Anglia, UK. Previously he worked for the World Health Organization, where he was an author and editor of the World Report on Disability (WHO, 2011), and International Perspectives on Spinal Cord Injury (WHO, 2013). His books include The Sexual Politics of Disability (Cassell, 1996) and Disability Rights and Wrongs (Routledge 2006, 2013). He has been involved in the disability movement since 1986.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication12/03/2015
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note7 black & white tables, 8 black & white line drawings
- Weight521 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Edited byTom Shakespeare
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $37.00Trending at AU $37.79
- AU $23.50Trending at AU $28.78
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.65
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.49
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $9.90
- AU $15.62Trending at AU $17.49
- AU $21.93Trending at AU $30.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.