All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis powerful volume represents the broadest engagement with disability issues in South Africa yet. Themes include theoretical approaches to and representations of disability, governmental and civil society responses to disability, aspects of education as these pertain to the oppression/liberation of disabled people, social security for disabled people, the complex politics permeating service provision relationships, and consideration of disability in relation to human spaces - physical, ecomic and philosophical. Noteworthy is the inclusivity of its nearly fifty contributors, many of whom write both as disabled South Africans and as educators, parents, linguists, psychologists, human rights activists, entrepreneurs, mental health practitioners, academics, and NGO and government officials. Equally stimulating is the range of writing styles, including interviews, a provocatively stark contrasting of voices in a chapter on Psychiatric Disability and Social Change, various well crafted articles on theoretical issues and the autobiographical style of many of the contributions. Firmly located within the social model of disability, this collection will resonate powerfully with contemporary thinking and research in the disability field and will set the benchmark for cutting-edge debates in a transforming South Africa.
- Author BiographyBrian Watermeyer is a clinical psychologist and a disability studies researcher. Leslie Swartz is a professor of psychology at the University of Stellenbosch. Theresa Lorenzo is a senior lecturer in the division of occupational therapy in the School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences at the University of Cape Town. Marguerite Schneider is a chief research manager in the child, youth, family and social development research program of the HSRC. Mark Priestley is reader in the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of Leeds.
- PublisherHSRC Press
- Date of Publication01/07/2006
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Place of PublicationCape Town
- Country of PublicationSouth Africa
- ImprintHSRC Press
- Content NoteIllustrations, 1 map
- Weight715 g
- Width168 mm
- Height239 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byBrian Watermeyer,Leslie Swartz,Margie Schneider,Mark Priestley,Theresa Lorenzo
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.92
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.49
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.07
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.