All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDomestic violence is encountered by disabled women more frequently than n-disabled women, yet disabled women are less likely to receive appropriate services, and there has been little research on their experiences and how this problem can be addressed. This book, drawing on the first UK national study of disabled women who have suffered domestic violence, highlights the experiences of these women, the nature of the violence perpetrated against them, and the seriousness and range of its impacts. The book draws attention to the gaps in services for disabled women and discusses how professional responses should be developed and improved, pointing to current examples of good practice. It includes first-hand accounts from disabled women and includes contributions from leading disabled women activists. This book will be important reading for students, practitioners, policymakers and academics in the fields of disability and domestic violence.
- Author BiographyRavi K. Thiara is Principal Research Fellow, University of Warwick, UK. She has conducted extensive research in the UK and elsewhere and written widely on violence against women. Gill Hague is Professor of Violence Against Women Studies, University of Bristol, UK, and a founder member of the Centre for Gender and Violence Research, University of Bristol. She has conducted key research nationally and internationally, and has worked on gender violence for nearly 40 years, publishing extensively in the field. Ruth Bashall is a prominent activist and consultant on disability issues and continues to be involved in organisations of disabled people. Brenda Ellis is a long standing campaigner for disabled women's rights and issues including domestic violence. Audrey Mullender is Principal of Ruskin College, Oxford, UK. Her distinguished research career has focused on domestic violence, post-adoption issues for birth relatives and groupwork theory.
- Author(s)Audrey Mullender,Brenda Ellis,Gill Hague,Ravi K. Thiara,Ruth Bashall
- PublisherJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Date of Publication15/12/2011
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Weight290 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Foreword byNicola Harwin
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.05Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $36.00
- AU $32.22Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.16
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.20
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.