All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDisaster recovery is often unplanned for in the emergency management life cycle. Yet recovery is the key stage where funds, programs, professional expertise, and volunteer efforts are applied to affected cities, states, and regions to get them up and running again. Providing a unique perspective on a highly focused area, Disaster Recovery is the first core text that tackles the myriad recovery issues faced by federal, state, and local emergency managers, public officials, and voluntary organizations in a long-term disaster recovery situation. The book takes a holistic approach, integrating the various challenges of recovery such as housing, the infrastructure, and workplaces. Disaster Recovery emphasizes three key themes by integrating vulnerable populations into each chapter, stressing the importance of tying mitigation measures into every aspect of recovery, and encouraging rebuilding in environmentally sustainable ways. Coverage includes topics such as recovery planning, housing, debris management, business and private sector recovery, public/governmental recovery and operations, historical and cultural preservation, environmental recovery, social and psychological recovery and services, voluntary n-governmental organizations (NGOs), federal assistance programs, grant-writing, and donations management. Pedagogical tools to clarify concepts Each chapter features pedagogy to encourage comprehension and retention, including key terms, learning objectives, highlighted practical applications, review questions, a summary, and references. Numerous classic and recent case studies ensure concepts are fully explained and illustrated. In addition, PowerPoint(R) slides are also available for adopters. Designed for professional and classroom use, this volume thoroughly covers the disaster recovery process, offering vital insight into the evolving field of emergency management.
- Author BiographyBrenda Phillips, Ph.D., is the Associate Dean and Full Professor of Sociology at Ohio University-Chillicothe. She is the author of Mennonite Disaster Service and an editor on Social Vulnerability to Disasters (CRC Press). In 2013, she was inducted into the International Network of Women in Emergency Management's Hall of Fame. In 2012, she received the Blanchard Award for Excellence in Emergency Management Education. Professor Phillips has conducted research on disaster recovery since 1982, beginning as a student of E.L. Quarantelli at The Ohio State University's Disaster Research Center. Her published research can be found in a variety of journals including the International Journal of Mass Emergencies and Disasters, Disaster Prevention, Disasters, Humanity and Society, the Journal of Emergency Management, Natural Hazards Review, and Environmental Hazards. She has been funded multiple times by the National Science Foundation to study disasters and vulnerable populations. Dr. Phillips has been invited to teach, consult or lecture in New Zealand, Australia, Germany, India, Costa Rica, Mexico, Canada, and the People's Republic of China. She is a graduate of Bluffton University (Ohio) and The Ohio State University.
- Author(s)Brenda D. Phillips
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication24/04/2009
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAuerbach Publishers Inc.
- Out-of-print date20/10/2015
- Content Note53 black & white illustrations, 12 black & white tables
- Weight1133 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine36 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $87.24New
- AU $41.13Used
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.36New
- AU $112.89New
- AU $97.70Used
- AU $33.23New
- AU $30.36New
- AU $20.41New
- AU $30.78New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.02Trending at AU $37.97
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $39.15Trending at AU $43.36
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.36
- AU $61.00Trending at AU $63.02
- AU $49.19Trending at AU $52.68
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.78
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.