All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDiscourse Interpretation: Approaches and Applications provides new insights into the complex area of discourse interpretation in a wide range of discourse types and genres. The authors adopt a variety of approaches to the representation and interpretation of meaning in discourse to share the understanding that discourse interpretation is a dynamic construct constantly open to reinterpretation in the light of the intentions and purposes of in particular social, historical and situational contexts. The chapters of the book comprise essays by linguists working in the fields of (critical) discourse analysis, pragmatics, stylistics and sociolinguistics which address methodological issues in discourse interpretation (Part I) and explore various aspects of representation and interpretation of meaning in different genres of spoken and written discourse, namely conversational, academic, media, political and fictional discourse (Part II). This volume, which combines theoretical insights with empirical investigations, contributes to a better understanding of the interpretative process and will be of interest to a wide range of researchers, scholars and students of English.
- Author BiographyOlga Dontcheva-Navratilova is Assistant Professor of English Linguistics at Masaryk University in Brno, Czech Republic. She specializes in discourse analysis, stylistics and pragmatics, with a focus on political and academic discourse. She has published many articles on topics related to her research interests and is the author of Analysing Genre: The Colony Text of UNESCO Resolutions (2009), in which she analyses the distinctive features of the colony text type as represented in the genre of resolutions, and Coherence in Political Speeches (2011), in which she explores the interplay of topical, evaluative and textual coherence in political discourse. She is co-editor of Coherence and Cohesion in Spoken and Written Discourse (2009), published by Cambridge Scholars Publishing, and of the linguistics journal Discourse and Interaction. She is involved in the research project Coherence and Cohesion in English Discourse, the aim of which is to conceptualize coherence and cohesion as constitutive components of human communication and to explore features and strategies enhancing the perception of coherence and cohesion in different genres of spoken and written discourse. Renata Povolna is Associate Professor of English Linguistics at Masaryk University in Brno, Czech Republic. Her research interests lie in the areas of discourse analysis, pragmatics and conversation analysis, focusing on coherence, cohesion and discourse markers in academic spoken as well as written discourse. She has published many articles on topics related to her research interests and is the author of Spatial and Temporal Adverbials in English Authentic Face-to-Face Conversation (2003), in which she explores the role of spatial and temporal adverbials in face-to-face conversation, and Interactive Discourse Markers in Spoken English (2010), in which she investigates the pragmatic functions clausal forms such as you know, you see and I mean can perform in spoken discourse. She is co-editor of Coherence and Cohesion in Spoken and Written Discourse (2009), published by Cambridge Scholars Publishing, and of the linguistics journal Discourse and Interaction. She is involved in the research project Coherence and Cohesion in English Discourse, which studies the conceptualization of coherence and cohesion as constitutive components of human communication and the application of theoretical insights in the analysis of spoken and written discourse.
- PublisherCambridge Scholars Publishing
- Date of Publication01/03/2012
- Place of PublicationNewcastle upon Tyne
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge Scholars Publishing
- Weight118 g
- Width148 mm
- Height212 mm
- Edited byOlga Dontcheva-Navratilova,Renata Povolna
- Format DetailsWith dust jacket
- Edition Statement1st Unabridged
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.69Trending at AU $111.84
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.50
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.50
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.97
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.12
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.