All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis volume brings together key players in discourse variation research to offer original analyses of a wide range of discourse-pragmatic variables, such as 'like', 'innit', 'you get me', and 'at the end of the day'. The authors introduce a range of new methods specifically tailored to the study of discourse-pragmatic variation and change in synchronic and longitudinal dialect data, and provide new empirical and theoretical insights into discourse-pragmatic variation and change in contemporary varieties of English. The volume thus enhances our understanding of the complexities of discourse-pragmatic variation and change, and encourages new ways of thinking about variability in discourse-pragmatics. With its dual focus on presenting invative methods as well as new results, the volume will provide an important resource for both newcomers and veterans alike in the field of discourse variation analysis, and spark discussions that will set new directions for future work in the field.
- Author BiographyHeike Pichler is Lecturer in Sociolinguistics at Newcastle University. She is author of The Structure of Discourse-Pragmatic Variation (2013) and has published in English Language and Linguistics, the Journal of Sociolinguistics and Intercultural Pragmatics. She is the founder of the Discourse-Pragmatic Variation and Change (DiPVaC) conference series which serves to provide a forum for exploring methodological, empirical and theoretical advancements in the quantitative, variationist analysis of discourse-pragmatic features, and she is also Chair of the DiPVaC research network (www.dipvac.org).
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication03/05/2016
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note23 b/w illus. 1 map 3 tables
- Weight600 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edited byHeike Pichler
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $75.71New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.41Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $75.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.