All listings for this product
About this product
- Description'A highly effective introduction to the range of approaches found in discourse analysis...a lively and intellectually stimulating Reader' - David Silverman, Goldsmith College, University of London Discourse Theory and Practice is much more than a collection of key classic articles and papers in the field of discourse analysis. The aim of the book is to introduce students to the major figures in the field, and to some of their writings which, combined with the interspersed editorial commentaries, should allow students to understand the key epistemological and methodological issues of discourse theory and practice. The Reader is organized into four coherent parts, namely: Foundations and Building Blocks; Social Interaction; Minds, Selves and Sense-Making; and Culture and Social Relations. Key readings include works by Stuart Hall, Jonathan Potter, David Silverman, Erving Goffman, Teun van Dijk, Derek Edwards and Michael Billig. Chapters introduce the student to each individual and their reading, contextualizing each in terms of their contribution to the field, theoretical standpoint and individual method of doing discourse analysis. The many didactic elements of the book make it ideal as an introduction to the study of discourse for all students of psychology, sociology, linguistics or cultural studies. This book is a course reader for The Open University course Discourse Analysis (D843).
- Author BiographyMargaret Wetherell is Professor of Social Psychology at the Open University, UK and Director of the Economic and Social Research Council Programme on Identities and Social Action. Stephanie Taylor is a lecturer in social psychology in the Faculty of Social Sciences at the Open University.
- PublisherSAGE Publications Inc
- Date of Publication27/03/2001
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitlePublished in Association with The Open University
- Place of PublicationThousand Oaks
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSAGE Publications Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight664 g
- Width170 mm
- Height242 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Edited byMargaret Wetherell,Simeon J. Yates,Stephanie Taylor
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $32.79Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.68Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.55Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $31.98Trending at AU $45.25
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.